ADSM-L

Re: AW: Lotus Notes Non-TDP backups

2003-07-29 09:08:48
Subject: Re: AW: Lotus Notes Non-TDP backups
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:09:38 -0400
There are two *guaranteed* ways to get a consistent
Domino database backup.

1.) Shut down the Domino server and back up the files.
    (For example, use the BA client.)

2.) Use Data Protection for Domino, which uses the
    Domino backup and restore APIs.
    This can be done while the Domino Server is up
    even if the database is changing during backup.

Even with the new Open File support, if a database is "open",
you cannot absolutely guarantee that the database will be in a
consistant state during the point in time the "freeze" happens.
That is because there could be in-memory operations that would make it
consistent. The Domino transaction logging introduced in Domino 5
make sure that the database can be made consistent even after a crash.

Thanks,

Del