ADSM-L

Re: Tape performance

2003-07-29 08:21:49
Subject: Re: Tape performance
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:17:38 +0300
Usually I prefer to test using a large precompressed (zip/tar.gz) file and
not to disable compression. This is closer to the reality eliminating
possible (with low chance) problems due to different settings. It also
helps to reveal the expand after compression issues.

Pipe the output of tar+gzip to a large enough file and perform the
`dd`-test again. I was able to fully load up to two FC-attached LTO-1
drives from a single system with or without compression. Maybe to utilize
successfully several LTO-2 drives would be a real challenge :-()

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
22.07.2003 22:19