ADSM-L

Re: Wouldn't it be nice...

2003-07-25 08:36:45
Subject: Re: Wouldn't it be nice...
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:36:34 -0400
Ah, like everyelse IBM these days, they even do meditations
offshore...:-)

>>> gianluca_mariani AT IT.IBM DOT COM 07/25/03 02:47AM >>>
Zlatko,
the last two months meditating in a monastery in Tibet have been very
helpful...
IBM employees who participate to this list cannot but be grateful to
all of
you who understand why we do it.
it's a reward that falls outside of business metrics.
;-)

Cordiali saluti
Gianluca Mariani
Tivoli TSM Global Response Team, Roma
Via Sciangai 53, Roma
 phones : +39(0)659664598
                   +393351270554 (mobile)
gianluca_mariani AT it.ibm DOT com

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy says  of the Sirius Cybernetics
Corporation product that "it is very easy to be blinded to the
essential
uselessness of  them by the sense of achievement you get from getting
them
to work at all. In other words ? and this is the rock solid principle
on
which the  whole  of the Corporation's Galaxy-wide success is founded
-their fundamental design flaws are  completely  hidden  by  their
superficial design flaws"...

                      Zlatko Krastev

                      <[email protected]        To:
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      ET>                      cc:

                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Wouldn't
it be nice...
                      Dist Stor

                      Manager"

                      <[email protected]

                      .EDU>

                      25/07/2003 02.49

                      Please respond to

                      "ADSM: Dist Stor

                      Manager"

I recall ten years ago Novell Netware had about 60-70% market share in
file/print serving. But they later lost the momentum and their market
share decreased significantly. That ought to explain why IBM is having
much more people dedicated to AIX, Windows, Solaris, even Linux than
Netware. And if from all those Windows-assigned people only Andy
Raibeck
have some time to monitor to the list, from where you expect to come
more
people for your favorite platform!?!

Others already wrote, but I will repeat it again - all IBM employees
are
volunteering here as this is not the official support channel. Support
is
supposed to assist you only in resolving problems. Many problems cannot
be
resolved without providing details about the configuration. There is a
very big difference between sending company sensitive data to a single
entity and making it publicly available to everyone.

For education there is IBM Learning Services, for solution development
there is IBM Global Services, there are IBM Business Partners
providing
services and add-on products, etc. They can provide to your company
commitment, predictable results, ... and a price. On the list you can
see
anything: RTFM questions, newbie questions, same question again and
again,
"I want to test did I really get subscribed", TSM-related and
unrelated
postings, etc. If you were in a position of an IBM manager, how could
you
measure effectiveness, knowledge and responsiveness of the part of
your
team reading the list?

There is no need to say "God bless Andy and Del" each morning. But we
can
post a one-row memo with thanks after they helped us. What I see
usually
on this list is: a question; an answer; a clarification/additional
question(s); an additional/final answer; ... and nothing!!! No rewards
those who helped.
Very few people bother to say thank you after the problem is resolved.
But
many are *demanding* assistance with unnecessary re-posts.
Now repeat after me: "Thank you ... fellows ... for helping us ... and
saving me ... again!"

On the end, a message to IBM managers which do not read this list at
all
!!!:
Tracking a forum like this one can provide you with pile of useful
information - competitive advantages/disadvantages, faster resolution
of
unordinary problems, good success stories without make-up and much
more.
The fertilizer for the forum is participation of people like Andy
Raibeck,
Del Hoobler, Neil Rasmussen and his predecessor Thiha Than, Gianluca
Mariani (though he possibly ran away to Tibet again for the last two
months :-) and all those supportive IBM employees.
I would also recommend the list as a teaching tool for support staff
the
same way I've learned TSM - read the list completely and try to find
the
resolution to the problem alone, later compare the results with other
suggestions and initial poster's report (if such one exists). The
approach
can be used for both real-life lessons and real-life testing of the
staff.
You can benefit from the list if you invest time and resources in it!

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Flemming Hougaard <flhou AT NETVAULTING DOT COM>
24.07.2003 17:21