ADSM-L

Re: Deleteing a version of a backed up file

2003-07-25 07:30:47
Subject: Re: Deleteing a version of a backed up file
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:28:29 -0400
>If I have 5 versions of a file and want to delete/expire the 3rd copy, how
>can I do this with the TSM client? EXPIRE doesn't give me an option for a
>specific object.

Nor should it, as the product is expected to conform to a rules/policy regimen
to assure that data is there as everyone at the site hopes it will be when a
restoral is needed.  That is, tinkering is contrary to the philosophy of the
product, which was selected for its policy nature.

You can effect what you want - just think through the product concepts.
The Backup Copy Group specifies a certain number of Versions to keep.
That is conceptually a shift register: push an object in, the oldest one
falls out the back.  You can perform as many Selective Backups as needed on
a given file system object to achieve the bumping you need.

  Richard Sims, BU