ADSM-L

Backing up NAS file systems

2003-07-25 02:31:30
Subject: Backing up NAS file systems
From: andrewf <andrewf AT UOW.EDU DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:27:05 +1000
Hi,

I am trying to get a feel for how long it might take check all the files for
backup in a NAS (Network Attached Storage) file system as we have several
NAS file systems with over 1,000,000 files in each. These file systems are
currently being backed up using Legato and take forever!

In the testing I have done so far, I have run an incremental backup to clear
all outstanding files, and then run an incremental again so that I can get a
reasonably clear picture of how long it takes just to check the file system
for backups.

Of the combinations I have tested so far, the results are as follows

RS/6000 local disk              1500/second
Windows 2000 local disk 800/second
Windows 2000 NAS                130/second

Can anyone give an approximation of ???????????????

Thanks

Andrew Finlaison
DBA
University of Wollongong