ADSM-L

Restore of a NetWare Cluster... what's happening?

2003-07-16 07:46:37
Subject: Restore of a NetWare Cluster... what's happening?
From: Flemming Hougaard <flhou AT NETVAULTING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:46:09 +0200
Hi all

I've been restoring some data on a NetWare Cluster... and I have had several
problems doing this:

The TSM Server is a 5.1.6.2 on a AIX 4.3.3.
Client software, NetWare 6, SP3 and TSM Client 5.1.6.0.

Problem:
Every time I tried to start a restore on the cluster, the following happened:
 - Client went to MediaWait (but no media was mounted)
 - Client went to Run (still no media mounted)
 - Client went to Receivewait, and after 600 sec. the server disconnects the
server:

Logs:
On server: ANR0481W Session 49492 for node <NODENAME> (NetWare)terminated -
client did not respond within 300 seconds.
On Client: ANS1005E TCP/IP read error on socket = 11, errno = 54, reason :
'Connection reset by peer'.

The scary thing is, if I made a restore of a filespace from the SYS: volume
(not backed up as a cluster), then it all worked fine!!

Solution:
Stop all migration and databasebackups - and all works fine!!! What's
happening?? is it a designfailure... or is it working as planned? It cannot be
true you can't make a restore on a NetWare Cluster, and a migration and/or a
databasebackup at the same time.

I have tried to reproduce the failure... and everytime I start to migrate or
make a databasebackup - the restore fails!!

What's happening???

Regards
Flemming