ADSM-L

Re: Ghost devices after a BMR of Windows2000

2003-07-15 07:50:35
Subject: Re: Ghost devices after a BMR of Windows2000
From: "Tait, Joel" <Joel.Tait AT CCRA-ADRC.GC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:50:10 -0400
Error Message When You Try to Set an IP Address on a Network Adapter
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional

SYMPTOMS
When you trying to set the IP address on a network adapter, you may receive
the following error message:

The IP address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX you have entered for this network adapter is
already assigned to another adapter Name of adapter. Name of adapter is
hidden from the network and Dial-up Connections folder because it is not
physically in the computer or is a legacy adapter that is not working. If
the same address is assigned to both adapters and they become active, only
one of them will use this address. This may result in incorrect system
configuration. Do you want to enter a different IP address for this adapter
in the list of IP addresses in the advanced dialog box?
Where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP address that you are trying to set and Name
of adapter is the name of the network adapter that is present in the
registry but hidden in Device Manager.

If you click Yes, you see the TCP/IP properties where you can change the IP
address to something different for the currently showing network adapter in
Device Manager. If you click No, the IP address is assigned to the network
adapter. Note that if you click No, the selected network adapter in Device
Manager and the ghosted network adapter have the same IP address. In most
cases, this does not cause any problems because the driver is disabled.
CAUSE
A network adapter with the same IP address is in the registry but is hidden
in Device Manager. This can occur when you move a network card from one PCI
slot to another PCI slot.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, uninstall the ghosted network adapter from the
registry:
Click Start, click Run, type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, and then press ENTER.
Type Start DEVMGMT.MSC, and then press ENTER.
Click View, and then click Show Hidden Devices.
Expand the Network Adapters tree.
Right-click the dimmed network adapter, and then click Uninstall.