ADSM-L

Re: SGI client questions...

2003-07-14 18:27:47
Subject: Re: SGI client questions...
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 00:27:21 +0200
On maandag, jul 14, 2003, at 18:00 Europe/Amsterdam, Simeon Johnston
wrote:

I have a Win2k 5.1 TSM server running.  I would like to backup our
Origin200 (Irix 6.5) to it.
I know there is a 5.1 SGI client and that's not the problem.
The problem is the Appletalk server running on the SGI.  I would like
to know if the TSM client will restore those Mac files correctly.
If you haven't worked w/ an atalk server before, here's how it works
(at least ours anyway).
The macintosh sees the share as a regular Appletalk share.  When you
copy Macintosh files to the SGI share, the daemon running on the SGI
splits the data and resource forks and stores them seperately on the
server.  I will then rejoin them when being copied back to a MacOS
system.
The problem w/ every backup system we've looked at for the SGI is that
it will not restore the data and resource fork files back onto the SGI
correctly.  We've been using Retrospect for MacOS to mount the shares
on a mac and back them up that way.  It works, but that means we need
a dedicated mac and a dedicated tape drive for this backup.

Which is intresting. AFAIK, Irix is supported, and so is XFS, meaning
that any data that can be stored on an XFS filesystem can be backed-up
and restored using TSM. If I'm not mistaking, the resource-fork is just
stored in a separate file on the XFS filesystem, so doing a proper
restore might be somewhat less trivial than just restoring simple flat
files, but not impossible once...

So, does anyone have any experience backing up an SGI that happens to
be running an Appletalk server?  This is probably also true for a
Linux/*BSD machine running the Appletalke daemon.  I believe they both
work the same way (splitting the data/resource forks).
There is also a possibility that it could be hacked to work correctly.
 Technically the data and resource files on the SGI just need to have
the same timestamp to be shared correctly.  If I could hack a script
together that would parse the directories and reset all the
corresponding files to the same timestamp...
Even if TSM restored the files incorrectly, it could be fixed.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm kinda stuck.  The way we
backup that server at the moment....  let's just say it leaves
something to be desired.

sim

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam    http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer
industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams