ADSM-L

SGI client questions...

2003-07-14 12:00:30
Subject: SGI client questions...
From: Simeon Johnston <simeonuj AT INDIVISUALLEARNING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:00:03 -0500
I have a Win2k 5.1 TSM server running.  I would like to backup our Origin200
(Irix 6.5) to it.
I know there is a 5.1 SGI client and that's not the problem.
The problem is the Appletalk server running on the SGI.  I would like to know
if the TSM client will restore those Mac files correctly.
If you haven't worked w/ an atalk server before, here's how it works (at least
ours anyway).
The macintosh sees the share as a regular Appletalk share.  When you copy
Macintosh files to the SGI share, the daemon running on the SGI splits the data
and resource forks and stores them seperately on the server.  I will then
rejoin them when being copied back to a MacOS system.
The problem w/ every backup system we've looked at for the SGI is that it will
not restore the data and resource fork files back onto the SGI correctly.
We've been using Retrospect for MacOS to mount the shares on a mac and back
them up that way.  It works, but that means we need a dedicated mac and a
dedicated tape drive for this backup.

So, does anyone have any experience backing up an SGI that happens to be
running an Appletalk server?  This is probably also true for a Linux/*BSD
machine running the Appletalke daemon.  I believe they both work the same way
(splitting the data/resource forks).
There is also a possibility that it could be hacked to work correctly.
Technically the data and resource files on the SGI just need to have the same
timestamp to be shared correctly.  If I could hack a script together that would
parse the directories and reset all the corresponding files to the same
timestamp...
Even if TSM restored the files incorrectly, it could be fixed.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm kinda stuck.  The way we backup
that server at the moment....  let's just say it leaves something to be desired.

sim