ADSM-L

Re: 'threshhold for incremental backups'

2003-07-10 20:11:38
Subject: Re: 'threshhold for incremental backups'
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:11:18 -0400
>OH TSM gurus, :)
>
>I read the help, but what does this stand for in the gui client, setting
>preferences, there is a filed that is called 'Threshold for non-journaled
>incremental backups'?  It takes a value of 0 to 200,000 and after reading the
>helps the meaning still does not sink in.
>
>Is this the number of files changed before it dumps the local journal of
>directory entries before it does a backup where it checks each files status
>against the TSM server database?  Or what?

Gurus don't use GUIs, but they can still advise on this...  :-)
In that all the gurus are off-duty at this hour, I'll take a stab at it.
The preference would seem to correspond to the INCRTHreshold option, introduced
in TSM 4.2.  See the description of that option in the Windows client manual,
which gives the basic explanation.  As always, a full explanation can be found
in the redbook which explains all the new features in the version-release: i.e.,
the TSM 4.2 Technical Guide.

  Richard Sims    http://people.bu.edu/rbs