ADSM-L

Re: TCP/IP Socket Error

2003-07-09 11:30:28
Subject: Re: TCP/IP Socket Error
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:30:03 -0400
>ANS1005E TCP/IP read error on socket = 5, errno = 131, reason : 'Connection
>reset by peer'.
>When I looked in the activity log on the TSM server which is on os/390 2.10
>at level 5.1.6.2, the only thing I could see was that a session ended for
>the client in question.  Then seconds later another session started and
>within 2 minutes it ended and a majority of the time it backed up at least
>6GB if not more, so I am going to assume that it just continued where it
>had left off and then finished its backup.  From my point of view this
>appears to be a client issue because I cannot find anything in the activity
>log that states otherwise.

Joni - If the server is severing client connections and nothing about such
       an event is reflected in the server Activity Log, that in itself is
a defect which should be reported - particularly as it may indicate something
more hinky being wrong.  There needs to be an indication of why the server
is resetting the connection - if it actually did.  It's also possible that
the OS/390 TCP/IP as a middle entity severed the connection (MVS TCP/IP had
a history of being irregular and flakey), so check the OS/390 logs, too.
Even so, the TSM server should have detected and logged a discontinuity
message.  TSM Support should be able to identify any OS/390 TCP/IP fixes
or configuration adjustments that may be needed.

When trying to coordinate client and server messages, always watch out for
the clocks on the respective computers possibly not being in sync.

   Richard Sims, BU