ADSM-L

Re: Recovering a TSM 4.2.1 server

2003-07-05 01:50:48
Subject: Re: Recovering a TSM 4.2.1 server
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 00:50:31 -0500
From: Gerald Wichmann [mailto:gwichman AT ZANTAZ DOT COM]
> I've been given an LTO tape that is supposedly a TSM DB
> backup. The external
> barcode label reads SU3689L1, which I assume is also the
> volume name as TSM
> would see it. My intention is to recover the TSM database by
> doing a dsmserv
> restore db. I do not have the volume history file or anything
> else from the
> original server, so I created my own devconfig file and have
> a single LTO
> tape drive connected and defined. Judging by the admin guide,
> the next step
> I need to do is a dsmserv display dbbackupvolume devclass=tapeclass
> vol=SU3689L1, however it comes back and errors out..
>
> ANR9999D assd.c(1040): ThreadId<0> Unexpected result code (15) from
> pvrAcquireMountPoint.
> ANR9999D icstream.c(1606): ThreadId<0> Error 87 opening input stream.
> ANR2032E DISPLAY DBBACKUPVOLUMES: Command failed - internal
> server error detected.

I believe that dsmserv display dbbackupvolume makes use of an intact
volume history file.

I would just run

        dsmserv restore db devc=tapeclass volume=SU3689L1

and see what happens. Keep in mind that if the version of TSM that wrote
the db backup is at a more recent version than the version currently
installed, you're likely to incur problems. Also keep in mind that once
you start the restore, and it fails for whatever reason, your currently
running version of TSM will probably not be usable either.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)
Berbee Information Networks