ADSM-L

NetWare Client 5.2 and Webinterface

2003-07-02 10:27:42
Subject: NetWare Client 5.2 and Webinterface
From: Flemming Hougaard <flhou AT NETVAULTING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 16:26:48 +0200
Hi

I have been looking over the new ITSM Client for NetWare version 5.2.0.0... and
I'm properly going to get an massive headache ;o)

I installed the client on a testserver, and tried to log in with the
appropriate credentials belonging to the node it self - it failed?? I tried an
administrator account - succes!! Then I turned to the documentation (typical
everything has to crash and burn before using this ;o) ), and i quote:

*       If you plan to use a Web client, you must have an administrative user
ID with system privilege, policy privilege, client access authority, or client
owner authority. When a new node is registered, an administrative user ID is
automatically created for the node. By default, this node has client owner
authority.

And now I'm a bit puzzled... Why???? I have a lot of servers on remote sites,
and have never created the default user ID - there is no need to! the client
have always been able to log in with the according nodename and password! Why
change this? I like the fact, that my user accounts is minimized to a minimum
but with this new client you will need to create the account every time - and
worse, I have to create an account every time I want to upgrade?

So anyone... Why have this been done? any good reasons? any suggestions to why?

Regards
Flemming