ADSM-L

Re: upgrade from AIX 4.3.3 to 5.1 with db and log on ESS

2003-07-01 17:39:56
Subject: Re: upgrade from AIX 4.3.3 to 5.1 with db and log on ESS
From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 14:39:03 -0700
Eliza,

If you do have to remove the devices, then just vary off your vg's, but
don't export them.  You don't actually have to delete your volumes, just the
devices they live on (vpath1, hdisk2, hdisk 3).  Then you can install the
new SDD, cfgmgr, then vary on your vg's, run hd2vp.  It should be pretty
quick and easy, but the caveat is that I haven't tried that with an SDD
upgrade in the middle, just a different SAN.

Alex Paschal
Freightliner, LLC
(503) 745-6850 phone/vmail

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 12:55:09 -0400
Eliza Lau <lau AT VTCAT.CC.VT DOT EDU> wrote:

> Hi TSMers,
>
> I am looking into upgrading the server from AIX 4.3.3 to 5.1.  The
> TSM database and log are on ESS 2105 volumes.  To upgrade to SDD 1.4 I
> will have to delete all the definitions for the db and log volumes,
> delete old version of SDD and install the new one.  Has anyone done this
> before and what are the gotchas?
>
> What do I gain from going to 64 bits.  The server only has 3G of memory.
> I am planning on remaining on 32 bits and go to 64 bits in the future.
>
> P660 with 4 processors
> TSM server 5.1.1.6 on AIX 4.3.3
> 3494 with six 3590E1A drives
> IBM ESS 2105 disks (db and log volumes)
> 2109 SAN switches
> SDD 1.3.1.3
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Eliza Lau
> Virginia Tech Computing Center

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
                     Registered Linux User 285528
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT snrgy DOT com
             Main:585-389-1260    fax:585-389-1267
                        SMS:5853292627 AT vtext DOT com