ADSM-L

Re: Correct syntax for defining objects in command schedule

2003-07-01 08:39:32
Subject: Re: Correct syntax for defining objects in command schedule
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 08:39:11 -0400
>I need to use the administrative command line interface to define a client
>schedule which will run the following command;
>
>/dir/script > /dir/log 2>&1
>
>Looks simple enough. After all, I just need to define a schedule with an
>action of command and objects with the command in it. But I'm having
>difficulty in establishing the correct syntax for quoting those objects.
>The reference guide advises that multiple objects should be double quoted
>with single quotes around the whole lot. In this case it doesn't work.

Eric - The Ref Manual, in talking of "multiple objects", is talking about
       encoding multiple file names which may contain blanks, which thus
need to be stored in the server as double-quoted constructs.
That's different from what you seek to do: you have just the command string.
You want to enter:

 def sched domain schedule_name action=command starttime=18:00
    objects="/dir/script >/dir/log 2>&1"

Note the removal of a space from around the redirect, which prevents TSM
from recognizing it as a redirect for it, but allowing it to be a Unix
redirect.

(I tested this via DEFine CLIENTAction before replying, to be sure.)

   Richard Sims, BU