ADSM-L

Re: select statement for active files/client/tape

2003-06-28 02:36:51
Subject: Re: select statement for active files/client/tape
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:45:51 -0500
From: Joni Moyer [mailto:joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM]
> I am going to a disaster recovery shortly and I have the
> users asking if
> there is any select statement or method to find all active files, what
> tapes these files are on and the order that they are on the
> tape for each
> client for the offsite tape copies.  Is this possible?  And if so, how
> intensive is this on the server?  We have the tsm server
> running on os/390
> 2.10 at version 5.1.6.2 and this would be for Sun Solaris servers (a
> majority of them are at the 4.2.1 client version).

You use select queries against the volumeusage table.

> If anyone has any suggestions for a way to do this or for a
> fast restore
> process for disaster recovery I would appreciate it!  Thank you!

There are all sorts of ways to speed up restores, but most of them must
be planned for and executed in advance. Browse the monthly TSM FAQ for a
few of them, and read through the search.adsm.org archives for mountains
of discussion on the subject.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)
Berbee Information Networks