ADSM-L

Re: retain incremental backups

2003-06-26 10:55:41
Subject: Re: retain incremental backups
From: GUILLAUMONT Etienne <eguillau AT RGB-TECHNOLOGIE DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:54:46 +0200
Hi,

I don't understand why the incremental backups should be expired if you set
the backup copy group to retain data for 30 days. If you make that, you
will keep all the backups for 30 days : 4 or 5 full backups and as much
incremental backups than the file was modified.
But I think you haven't understood one of the main caracteristics of TSM
because you talk about backups like it was considered like one global
entity, it's not true, each file is considered separately. If you backup
filea and fileb on monday and filec and filed on tuesday, TSM won't group
filea and fileb in one backup entity it will only keep the fact that their
last backup date is monday.

In fact, TSM will check the state of each file it has to backup. You could
consider that TSM makes a full backup each day but to gain time and place,
it doesn't backup again files that haven't changed, he only keeps track
that the file was still there and unchanged at a precise date.

The only advantage of full backup of TSM is to force it to rebackup all
files in case they where not properly backed up the first time. If you
wan't to keep several backups of the same file, for disaster recovery
purposes, instead of backing them up again, you shoud only make copies
within TSM with a backup stg command. TSM differs here from other softwares
which need to backup a file again to have several copies on tape.

One of the great advantages of that is that TSM uses far less tapes to
backup the same amount of data with the same security level.

Anyway, if you want to keep a point-in-time backup of a server in one
single set of tapes, you can use the backupsets

regards

Etienne GUILLAUMONT
e-mail : etienne AT rgb-technologie DOT fr

RGB Technologie
Parc d'Innovation, Bâtiment PYTHAGORE
11 Rue Jean SAPIDUS
67400 ILLKIRCH
Tél :  03 90 40 60 60
Fax : 03 90 40 60 61

                    Richard Sims

                    <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>         Pour :  ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    Envoyé par :         cc :

                    "ADSM: Dist          Objet :      Re: retain incremental
backups
                    Stor Manager"

                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA

                    RIST.EDU>

                    26/06/2003

                    15:29

                    Veuillez

                    répondre à

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

>We make a full backup on every Saturday and incremental backups on
weekdays.
>We would like to keep also the incremental backups for a month. However,
if
>I set the Backup Copy Group to retain the backups for 30 days, only the
full
>backups will be preserved and the incrementals will be expired.
>Have anybody any idea?

Sadly, your site is undermining the intent of the TSM product by using like
a basic OS utility backup.  Your company could save a lot of money by
discontinuing use of TSM and just using a plain, old backup utility.
TSM offers so much more in modern methods that it should not be used that
way.

You can't have the same node:filespace:file bound to different policies.
Your alternatives, if you want to continue with the old regimen, is to
cause the same files to look different via different mounting or use of
Virtualmountpoint, or to use Archive and Backup in combination.

  Richard Sims, BU