ADSM-L

Re: Moving Copypool to a new tape library

2003-06-25 20:20:20
Subject: Re: Moving Copypool to a new tape library
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:56:40 +1000
Almost Deon,

My preferred solution would be to not create "C" at all , but simply have new
tapes in "B" created in library "2".
I also have 4 drives in "1" and only 2 in "2" so I'd prefer to keep using "1"
for primary pools and "2" for copypools.

But thanks for the input.

Steve.

>>> Deon George <dgeorge AT au1.ibm DOT com> 25/06/2003 15:01:53 >>>
Steve,

Just to be sure that I understand you, you have PRIMARY storage pool "A"
and COPY stgpool "B" both in library "1". You now have another library "2" and
would create a new storage pool "C" - You would like to move all the media from
"B" to "C"?

OK, here is an option that I though of quickly (hopefully there is a
better way though)...

Make library "1" your "offsite" library (for copys), and library "2" your
onsite library (for primarys) (or move all the tapes around so that it
appears that way). You can then move your PRIMARY tapes with the MOVE
NODEDATA command from PRIMARY storage pool "A" to PRIMARY storagepool "C", one
node/filesystem at a time. (Where the devclass class points to the
appropriate library).

I only have TSM 5.1 here - so I cant remember if MOVE NODEDATA is in 4.2. If
not, you can use the MOVE DATA command to move data tapes at a time.

Will that fly?

...deon
---
Have you looked at the A/NZ Tivoli User Group website?
http://www.tuganz.org

Deon George, Customer Support Account Engineer, IBM Australia
Office: +61 3 9626 6058, Fax: +61 3 9626 6622, Mobile: +61 412 366 816,
IVPN +70 66058
mailto:dgeorge AT au1.ibm DOT com, http://www.ibm.com/tivoli

>>> Deon George <dgeorge AT au1.ibm DOT com> 25/06/2003 15:08:46 >>>

I also though of this:

Again, swaping the roll of the libraries as I described in my previous
message - you could:

* Mark all your primaries as "DESTROYED"
* Update the stgpool so that MAXSCR=0
* Define a new STGPOOL for the new library, and have your backups go to
it,
* Restore STGPOOL to "the new storage pool" in the other library

As tapes become empty in library 1, move them to library 2.

Again, you could do this a tape (or set of tapes) at a time.

...deon

Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
25/06/2003 12:38 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Moving Copypool to a new tape library

HI all,

I'm running TSM server 4.2.3.3 on aix 5.1.  TSM 5.2 testing starts as soon as
the media arrives.

I currently have several tape pools and associated copy pools writing to a
3494, all using the same device class. Copypool tapes are sent offsite
daily.
I've acquired a second 3494 which is now lan and san attached at our
second site.

Next step is to change processing so that copypools directly use the
offsite library instead of the onsite one.

If the primary and copy pools were in the different devclasses I could
just update the copypool devclass, but this is not the case.
The manual shows no way of updating the devclass  associated with a
stgpool after it is created.

Move data won't move between copypools and even if it did the next days
copy processing would just back-fill the moved data.
I can't just set up a second copypool to the new location and live with
two copies for a while because there are about 600 volumes involved and I don't
have that many free tapes.

All I can think of is creating a whole new storage pool hierarchy and
pointing new backups to that.  The old data will gradually expire and
eventually I can use move data to clean up the old primary pools.

Anyone got any better ideas?

Thanks

Steve.

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.