ADSM-L

Re: Message ANS1102E Excessive number of command line arguments

2003-06-24 11:46:46
Subject: Re: Message ANS1102E Excessive number of command line arguments
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:46:05 -0700
Follow-up on an older issue:

In reviewing the TSM server documentation, I happened to note the
following in the online help, which suggests a solution:

tsm: STORMAN_SERVER1>help
  1 - Using Syntax Diagrams
 11 - Using Continuation Characters
 20 - Commands Any Administrator Can Issue

tsm: STORMAN_SERVER1>help 11
Using Continuation Characters

Using Continuation Characters

You can use continuation characters in the interactive mode of the
administrative client. Continuation characters are useful when you want to
process a command that is longer than your screen or window width.

Attention: Without continuation characters you can enter up to 256
characters. With continuation characters you can enter up to 1500
characters. In the MACRO command, these maximums are after any
substitution
variables have been applied.

With continuation characters, you can do the following:
   * Continue a string of values enclosed in quotation marks by entering
the
     first part of the string enclosed in quotation marks, followed by a
     dash or a back slash at the end of the line. Then, enter the
remainder
     of the string on the next line enclosed in the same type of quotation
     marks.

     For example:

     contact="david pease, bldg. 100, room 2b, san jose,"-
     "ext. 1234, alternate contact-norm pass,ext 2345"

     Tivoli Storage Manager concatenates the two strings with no
intervening
     blanks. You must use only this method to continue a quoted string of
     values across more than one line.

This suggests the following solution:

   OBJECTS='"G:\DATA\ACCESS\184 BACKUPS\*" ' -
   '"G:\DATA\ACCESS\57 BACKUPS\*" ' -
   '"G:\DATA\ACCESS\578 BACKUPS\*" ' -
   '"G:\DATA\ACCESS\1263 BACKUP\*" ' -
   '"G:\DATA\ACCESS\182MAN BACKUP\*" ' -
   '"G:\DATA\ACCESS\182SYSTEM BACKUP\*" ' -
   '"G:\DATA\ACCESS\CISPS SPT DATABASE BACKUP\*" ' -
   '"G:\DATA\ACCESS\CISUM SPT DATABASE BACKUP\*"' -

Note that each file specification is enclosed in double quotes, then
single quotes. There is a blank space between the right-hand double quote
and single quote so that when the concatenation with the next line occurs,
there will be a blank space between each file specification, i.e. this:

   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\184 BACKUPS\*" "G:\DATA\ACCESS\57 BACKUPS\*"

instead of this:

   "G:\DATA\ACCESS\184 BACKUPS\*""G:\DATA\ACCESS\57 BACKUPS\*"

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group