ADSM-L

Re: System Files - Windows Client

2003-06-19 07:14:13
Subject: Re: System Files - Windows Client
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 06:13:42 -0500
From: Weeks, Debbie [mailto:debbie AT ADMIN.USF DOT EDU]
> I have several W2K servers that can't back up the system
> files, causing
> the nightly backups to fail and the scheduler service to stop (even if
> it is set to restart on failure).  If the backup window hasn't expired
> it sometimes, but not always, keeps trying to run the backup over and
> over again until the window has expired, but never completes
> successfully.  The status shows up as a ?.  I can manually
> backup all of
> the local drives, and all system objects except for system files.

Try this workaround. Create a batch file that does the following:

        del C:\SystemStateBackup\SystemState.bkf
        ntbackup backup systemstate /F
"C:\SystemStateBackup\SystemState.bkf"

This will backup the system objects using Windows' ntbackup utility. If
you need to restore the entire box, restore systemstate.bkf after the
TSM file restore, and you get all of your system objects back.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)
Berbee Information Networks