ADSM-L

Re: Sharing 3494 library between TSM and VM/ESA

2003-06-17 16:57:15
Subject: Re: Sharing 3494 library between TSM and VM/ESA
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:56:40 -0400
We share between OS/390 and Windows TSM.

The systems share the services of the library manager, the robot arm, and
the inventory slots, but not the drives.
That is, your drives must be dedicated to either one or the other.  Also,
your tape ranges-scratch pools must be dedicated.

The mainframe drives are Escon-attached, so there is a least 1 ESCON
controller installed in the 3494, and the drives themselves must have the
ESCON attachment feature. From the mainframe, both robot commands and data
flow on the ESCON channels.

The Windows drives are SCSI/fibre attached directly from the host to each
drive.  For Windows we had to install an Ethernet adapter in the 3494.
Robot commands sent via TCP/IP over Ethernet to the 3494 Library Manager;
data flows via SCSI over fibre directly to the drives.

(You can, BTW, get a "converter" kit to change your drives from SCSI to
ESCON or vice versa -which of course is a charge feature.)

So what hardware you need will depend on where you are starting from.  Have
your local rep/business partner check and recheck carefully what features
you need to order.

The whole thing works great; each host "sees" the 3494 as a library that
belongs to him, and is unaware of the other applications using it.  We had
the 3494 attached to mainframe only for a long time before adding Windows;
and we have never had regrets about implementing the sharing, or had any
problems caused by it.

MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND how the 3494 uses category codes before you start.
There is a VERY GOOD redbook - in fact that is about the ONLY documentation
that I found to explain the library sharing.  It's SG24-4632, "IBM Magstar
Tape Products Family:  A Practical Guide"