ADSM-L

Re: HELP!!! [Linux Samba and Hebrew filenames]

2003-06-17 07:43:04
Subject: Re: HELP!!! [Linux Samba and Hebrew filenames]
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:42:42 -0400
>I have a Samba 2.2.7 on  Red Hat Linux 9  with 50 users , to back up the
>system I'm using TSM 5 Version 5 ,Release 1 Level 5.0.
>Most of the files are in Hebrew... ; When I try to back up one of the
>Hebrew files i get an error in dsmerror.log : "unrecognized symbols for
>current locale, skipping... ... "
>How can I back up those hebrew files?
>Please help.
>Thanks a lot.

Mordechai - Implementing a Samba file server on Unix is like the old
            expression, "being just a little bit pregnant".  That is, you
REALLY have to plan ahead for what you're going to end up with on that
file system, and be able to fully provide Windows-like services that go
along with file serving.

The IGLU (Israeli Group of Linux Users) advises:

  To make Hebrew filenames work correctly on a SMB share, you will need install
  samba 2.2.4 or later from http://www.samba.org/
  Then, add the following lines to the [global] section of your smb.conf:
        client code page = 862
        character set = ISO8859-8

See the smb.conf doc for more info; and fully study the Samba doc in general
for dealing with the stuff - particularly if you expect to end up with a mix
of foreign language files, which will really make things messy.  You may want
to mandate segregated Shares for each language.

  Richard Sims, BU