ADSM-L

Re: MediaW

2003-06-13 07:28:37
Subject: Re: MediaW
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:27:43 -0400
Our target is satisfactory restore time.  It has been our experience
that if one has adequate set up for restore the backups run just fine.
In our shop, adequate restore time requires collocation.  That said, in
my shop one must also take into account workplace politics.  If that is
not the case at your place of employment, good for you!

That begs the question of why a collocated session can not have
multiple backup threads.  In my ideal design of things, if a collocated
backup uses multiple sessions/threads, then it uses multiple tapes
instead of having one session wait until the 1st is done with a single
tape.

David

>>> acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET 06/13/03 12:57AM >>>
What is your *exact* target - collocation, IBM/Tivoli happiness or
faster
backups/restores. Have in mind that even IBMers are human beings and
can
err. Sometimes disabling collocation might give *improvements*
(usually
does not)

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
12.06.2003 15:29