ADSM-L

TSM DB

2003-06-12 15:12:48
Subject: TSM DB
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:12:25 -0500
Just because TSM adn DB2 come in blue packages doesn't mean they're cousins.  I
think the presentations made by Dav Cannon(?) at SHARE in '01 or '02 are on
line as well as another version from the last Oxford Symposium.  Dave's
presentations give the basic layout of the TSM DB and log, which is a BTree.
I've learned enough in the past few weeks to enable me to trace my way thru
some of the more easily identifiable objects in the DB.  Since we still haven't
located my problem record, I'm probably going to learn a lot more in the days
to come

But I would still trade what I've learned for a real toolkit for the ITSM DB.

Quoting Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>:

> rhetorical answer to a rhetorical question:
> I am under impression that TSM DB and DB2 are some sort of cousins -
> derived from same SQL/370 design or code. Thus the answer to your question
> might be "when TSM DB is going to catch up with recent improvements on
> DB2/Informix front".
> I still remember (and can find in my archives) the Roger's post on the
> thread "rollforward vs. normal mode" nearly a year ago. TDP for TSM is not
> so silly as it sounds. But if an add-on product is developed allowing
> multi-stream TSM DB backups/restores and better access to DB contents for
> queries, it might be sold separately as DRM was in v4.2 and before
> (regardless the name).
> Wake up IBM/Tivoli Marketing, developers and support are good but you have
> to be inventive too. And better not by changing licensing schema on each
> version or changing prices every quarter.
>
> Zlatko Krastev
> IT Consultant
>

> Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
> 06.06.2003 22:08
> Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
>

>         To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Re: Auditdb timing - FYI

> My real question, rhetorical of course, is when is TIVOLI going to supply
> us with a tool kit for identifying and working thru  DB problems?  Why do
> have to write some code to identify an object in the DB?  Why are there no
> functions available to do this?
>
> Wouldn't it be nice if V5R3 or V6R1, whichever comes first, were devoted
> the care and feeding of the TSM DB.
>
> My $.02 anyway.

Fred Johanson