ADSM-L

Re: Recover data on tape that was deleted - Resolved

2003-06-11 20:38:41
Subject: Re: Recover data on tape that was deleted - Resolved
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:22:56 -0500
Dwight / Wanda / David,

Your advice was accurate and matched what I thought I would have to do.  I
was just scared of the risk so I was looking for alternatives.

But I did as y'all suggested.  Backed up today's DB tape, then restored
Sunday's.  Checked out all scratch tapes that had been used between Sunday
and today.  Oh - don't forget the volume history.
Loaded the primary source tape and exported that filespace.
Restored the DB backup from today.  Note that DB restores overwrite the
volume history and device config files so you should keep a safe copy
before the "old" restore.  Also, each restore launches a full DB backup so
you need to have your scratch tape inventory accurate before you launch
the DB restore.
Once I imported the data on the tape, I steered it to the desired tape
pool, then made a new copy to copypool.
Pulled both tapes and cleaned up the system config a bit.

Bottom line: I recovered 10 GB of irreplaceable data from 2-1/2 years ago.
 I lost no data and missed no backups in the process.  All it cost was the
one day of my labor to shepherd the various processes.

There are other backup products?

Thanks to all.

Tab

"Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
06/11/2003 09:00 AM