ADSM-L

Re: anyone using ATA disk systems

2003-06-10 10:44:22
Subject: Re: anyone using ATA disk systems
From: John Underdown <johnunderdown AT STI.SYNOVUS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:43:35 -0400
I also appreciate Mr. Railbeck feedback. We have been using an all disk primary
backup pool for over 4 years now and recently switch our copy pool to all disk
NAS located at a remote site for DR. While Mr. Railbeck's comments may be
correct in theory, for me in practice they don't hold up. For instance he said
"This (no reclamation for random access storage pools) can cause inefficient
utilization of the disk space over time" , my experience shows random access is
still more efficient use of space than sequential due to the fact that I set my
reclaim threshold for sequential media at 50%. For me setting the reclaim
threshold higher is not worth the additional overhead.

Also of note is Mr. Rialbeck's statement "We have not done a lot of testing on
this, so this can not be taken as a definitive statement". I suggest anyone
interested in an all disk storage pool environment to test it for themselves.

Considering TCO, that is, dirt cheap ATA's drives, lightening speed restores,
and an incredibility simple DR solution, an all disk storage pool environment
has been a real winner with us. It's made me happy, the users happy, and most
importantly management happy.

Thanks,

john underdown
SYNOVUS