ADSM-L

Experience with rename filespace

2003-06-10 04:15:39
Subject: Experience with rename filespace
From: John Naylor <john.naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:14:35 +0100
People.

Not used rename filespace facility before yesterday , so would appreciate
experience of others.
Server TSM 4.2.2 (os390 2.10)
Client  TSM 4.2.0  WinNT
Scenario is, user moved all the drives on his client within a san, which
generated new drive letters.
User assured me that nothing else changed in the file attributes.
Question was could we avoid next backup seeing the drives as new filespaces and
backing up all the data again.
Thought if I renamed existing filespaces to the new drive letters and changed
the dsm.opt to reflect the new drives TSM might carry on as per normal.
The renames worked ok and query occupancy before and after the renames showed
that evrything had moved to the new drive letters as expected.
Actually what has happened  in last night's backup is that the renamed
filespaces have not been updated. TSM has instead created new file spaces of
exactly the same names but with new FSID's and backed up all the data again.
So for future reference is there a way to do this, without generating new
filespaces, or is this
just TSM behaving as designed.
Thanks,
John

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
Energy plc.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission.

Scottish Hydro-Electric, Southern Electric, SWALEC and S+S
are trading names of the Scottish and Southern Energy Group.