ADSM-L

Re: ACN5304E when I use the CLI to backup Exchange RESOLVED

2003-06-04 10:12:36
Subject: Re: ACN5304E when I use the CLI to backup Exchange RESOLVED
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:11:52 -0500
Mark,

"...there are a few Windows admins (and applications) out there who remove
System privileges from files. (For what reasons, I cannot imagine.)"

The problem is not that admins remove the "system" account.  The problem
is that admins remove the "everyone" account, which includes the "system"
account and is granted "full control" by default.

If you remove "everyone" you MUST ADD the LOCAL "system" account back to
the ACL otherwise services that run under that account will fail on access
denied errors.  In an NT domain, the "system" account is not available;
you must change location to the local machine SAM to see it.  I'm not sure
how it works in Active Directory; we had AD in the lab a couple years ago,
but haven't done anything with it yet.

Thanks.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator