ADSM-L

OS/390 server and USS

2003-06-02 15:49:41
Subject: OS/390 server and USS
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:49:10 -0400
We run a 5.1.6.2 server under OS/390. We have a separate test server
running in a logical partition used for system programmer testing. The
test TSM server stopped working when we installed a new release of Top
Secret, our security product, on the system programmer test partition.
The server fails during initialization with messages and symptom dump
contents indicating that the user running the server is not authorized
to use OMVS, which is part of Unix System Services. The server is
normally run as a started task with no associated user and no security
checking. The server will initialize if it is run as a batch job
submitted from a TSO user with authorization for Unix System Services.
My coworkers are still skeptical about the idea that the TSM server
uses Unix System Services. Does anyone know for sure whether it does
or not?