ADSM-L

Re: Opinions anyone?

2003-06-02 08:46:17
Subject: Re: Opinions anyone?
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 08:45:21 -0400
=> On Sat, 31 May 2003 10:39:26 -0400, Leonard Lauria <Leonard AT UKY DOT EDU>
said:

> My questions are these: The new system would be much faster with either 2 or
> 4 1.2 GHz (or faster) processors, but fast processors doesn't seem to be a
> huge factor at our site.  Are 2 enough?  Can TSM efficiently use 4
> processors?  Any site of simular size running on the above platform?

We're in your ballpark w.r.t. usage, TSM database, and file count.

The FastT ought to be a good platform for you; take pains to think about the
database volumes independantly of the storage pool volumes.

We've got our database on raw LVs, each one a single disk large; 14 spindles
seems to keep our access rational.  RAIDing the stgpool volumes makes sense,
but not the database.

We don't peg our (significantly slower than you contemplate) pair of
processors very often.  I'd suggest getting a pair of the fastest you can
afford, to leave room for expansion.

- Allen S. Rout