ADSM-L

Subfile backups

2003-05-30 09:58:49
Subject: Subfile backups
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 08:57:58 -0500
I'm experimenting with subfile backups on Windows XP Pro.  This is my test
setup:

Server: ITSM 5.1.6.5 on AIX 4.3.3 ML 8
Client: ITSM 5.1.6.0 on Windows XP Pro SP1

I've made entries in the DSM.OPT file for the three Subfile options:

* Subfile backup options
SUBFILEBACKUP           YES
SUBFILECACHEPATH        C:\TSMCache
SUBFILECACHESIZE        250

The folder corresponding to the cache path exists on the machine.

I'm not getting any error message, but I can't seem to prove that it is
actually working.

This is installed on a desktop PC.  I've throttled the NIC down to 10/half
but that didn't cause the feature to kick in visibly.  An attempt to demo
on a random laptop failed because of questions about the modem/phone line.

Under what conditions does the Subfile backup actually engage?  And how
can one VERIFY that it is working properly?

Thanks.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, LLC