ADSM-L

Re: Is it possible to define user quota in TSM?

2003-05-28 03:56:45
Subject: Re: Is it possible to define user quota in TSM?
From: Steven Pemberton <stevep AT IBK.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 18:06:31 +1000
On Wednesday 28 May 2003 17:22, Pothula S Paparao wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is it possible to restrict client to backup only 2 gb of data to TSM
> server, without defining storage pool per user. We are planing to install
> 3000 clients to TSM.  if we dont have this restriction set ,  users may
> throw junk in to my TSM server and may endup no space. Pls post your
> comments. reply in this regard is highly appriciated.

Sreekumar,

The short answer is "No", there is no supported way to do this.

Do you envision a "soft" or a "hard" quota? Do you want to *stop* the users
from sending any more backups once they reach the quota?

Perhaps the best answer (soft quota) is to charge-back the cost of storing
backups in TSM. Maybe use a sliding scale, the first 2 Gb is free, then
charge per Mb past that point?

Or (hard quota) run a script every day that locks the account of any client
using over 2 Gb of storage. That should be easy to script, and will get the
users attention! (Maybe not in a good way though...)

One problem with locking their accounts (hard quota) is how do you expect the
user to _reduce_ their existing backup occupancy? It's going to hang around
until the data would normally expire.

I like the charge-back option, as it still lets people perform essential
backups, and will hopefully fund any upgrades needed to cope with TSM's
rampant popularity. :)

Regards,
Steven P.

--
Steven Pemberton                             Mobile: +61 4 1833 5136
IBK (Senetas)                                Office: +61 3 9820 5811