ADSM-L

Re: anyone using ATA disk systems

2003-05-27 20:04:38
Subject: Re: anyone using ATA disk systems
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 09:20:31 +1000
THat's not a bad idea Tim.
The other thing that I'd like WRT big diskpools or sequential storage pools is
the ability to migrate inactive files and leave active ones behind.

This would need  a "move data inact=y" and another migration threshold for a
storage pool

migration would check for the current migration threshold, and if it wasn't
exceeded would then check the inactive threshold.

Steve.

>>> TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA 28/05/2003 5:41:46 >>>
We've been thinking about a huge disk pool also.  What we would probably do
is client backup to SCSI disk first then migrates to cheap disk or Tape.
What I really would like is to control which backups go to Tape or cheap
disk based on size.  (We get great throughput restoring large files from
Tape - not sure if it is worth keeping them on Disk - small file restores on
the other hand are killers on Tape.)

You can specify a maxsize parameter on a stgpool that a client will use but
this isn't used by subsequent migrations.  This works if I want my client
backing up to tape directly - but I don't want that - not enough tape
drives!

Is there anyway that this could be done? IE. Initially backup everything to
DISK - then basically control migration or Move Data based on size of files.

Or is this just whacky thinking?!

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.