ADSM-L

Re: 3575 Library

2003-05-27 11:52:05
Subject: Re: 3575 Library
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 20:35:46 -0400
I have a 3575-L32 that is going away soon.  Has been attached to
an RS6000 model F50.  The library firmware is on a chip (yes I know this
is different from most libraries) and version 2.19 is the latest (and final, I
believe, version).  The drive microcode can be installed by your IBM CE
and he can upgrade the library firmware if necessary.

I don't know about using this library on W2K.
One extra note though, I have had occasional problems with the SCSI
cables on this library when disconnecting/connecting - as when a drive
is replaced.  Carefully examine the connectors as to pins bent or recessed
in them etc.  Can give intermittant and flaky results.  I have seen a few
others on this list have problems also.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM 05/26/03 10:10AM >>>
Hi *SM-ers!
This posting may be a bit off-topic where TSM is concerned, sorry for
that...
We have an "old" 3575-L32 library which can be used by an other department
which uses Veritas Backup Exec 8.6 (yeah yeah, I know. But this department
will no longer exist in about a year from now, so I would rather let them
keep on using this software than investing a lot of time and effort in
migrating them to TSM).
They tried using this library, but they encounter SCSI time-outs.
I checked ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/Windows/Win2000/ device
drivers, but I couldn't find any. The only thing I found at
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/357x/ is microcode (a fix maybe?) but
there is no procedure down there on how to install this microcode.
Does anybody has some experience with using such a library outside of TSM?
Thanks in advance for any reply!!!
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

e-mail, and delete this message. Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM),
its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or
incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for
any delay in receipt.

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.