ADSM-L

Re: Question on defeating TSM strengths: due to budget constraints << solved

2003-05-23 10:20:35
Subject: Re: Question on defeating TSM strengths: due to budget constraints << solved
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 06:55:04 -0700
Not having been with IBM at the time TSM came out, I do not know off-hand
what the original intended purpose of multiple policy sets was/is.
However, the value that is immediately apparent to me is:

- Changes to the policy set do not go "live" until the policy set is
activated. This gives you the opportunity to review your changes before
activating them (i.e., "whoooops, I meant to say VEREXISTS=99, not 9").

- Allowing multiple "non-active" policy sets means that when you want to
change a policy set, you can make a copy of that policy set before making
the changes, so that you do not lose the old settings in case you change
your mind after making the changes, i.e.:

   1) COPY POLICYSET STANDARD STANDARD STANDARD_BKUP
   2) <make various changes to policy set STANDARD>
   3) <decide that changes are no good, you want to reinstate the old
policy>
   4) COPY POLICYSET STANDARD STANDARD_BKUP STANDARD

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

"William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
05/23/2003 06:31