ADSM-L

Running TSM Server under a different userid to root.

2003-05-23 01:04:14
Subject: Running TSM Server under a different userid to root.
From: Eric Winters <ewinters AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:42:45 +1000
Dear TSMers,

Does anyone out there have any experience of running TSM on AIX with a
userid different to root? I'm not talking about using sudo to run dsmserv,
but changing the ownership of /usr/tivoli/tsm/server and below to a 'tsm'
userid, and changing the permissions of db volumes, log volumes and storage
pool volumes similarly.

The reason for this is that my system administrators would prefer not to
implement sudo. Is anyone actually doing this. Are there any gotchas?
Shared memory won't work, but I'm not using that anyway, and I guess I'll
have to change the permissions back after every upgrade - but are there any
other issues? Of course I can run a test, but I'd like to avoid being
bitten by something unforeseen further down the track.

If it works this would be quite attractive.

Thanks as always for your feedback,

Eric Winters
Sydney Australia