ADSM-L

Re: Question on defeating TSM strengths: due to budget constraints << solved

2003-05-22 21:20:01
Subject: Re: Question on defeating TSM strengths: due to budget constraints << solved
From: DFrance <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 18:08:55 -0700
With all due respect, I supported an international account exactly this way; as
an interim solution (while they ordered up a second tape drive) at 3 of their
12 sites, using policyset swap to re-drive the full-backups (ie, change
copygroup to "absolute", from "modified") was just what we needed, so they
could run (almost) lights-out for a month at a time, using incrementals after
each monthly full.

It's not the best solution, but with only a single drive, this gets 3 copies of
data on tape (for files which exist between any 2 full-backups).  It clearly
defeats the purpose of TSM's design, but when a customer "screws up" and fails
to get proper equipment on first attempt, it saves the TSM decision, while
scrambling to get the 2nd drive for true, lights-out/normal operation.

If you've got the bandwidth to run the full-backup over a weekend, this fits
the bill;  if not (due to multiple nodes), then you'll need to work harder and
support multiple node-names per client machine... one for daily INCR, one for
weekly INCR --- Hmmm, maybe that's a better scenario for your situation, eh?
(My customer's scenario worked best because it allowed us to do en-mass swap of
scratch tapes for old backup tapes... which facilitated remote restore from the
help desk, transparently to the help-desk folks!)

HTH!

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT ayett DOT net (change aye to a for replies)

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)