ADSM-L

Re: Multi session restore... again

2003-05-22 20:52:16
Subject: Re: Multi session restore... again
From: DFrance <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:58:08 -0700
See the other related replies, note this requires client & server at 5.1 or
later (I would not use anything below 5.1.1.5 client, or 5.1.1.6 server)...
plus the following, info (extracted from recent IBM System Journal article):

During a large-scale restore operation (e.g., entire
file space or host), the TSM server notifies the client
whether additional sessions may be started to restore
data through parallel transfer. The notification is subject
to configuration settings that can limit the number
of mount points (e.g., tape drives) that are consumed
by a client node, the number of mount points
available in a particular storage pool, the number of
volumes on which the client data are stored, and a
parameter on the client that can be used to control
the resource utilization for TSM operations. The
server prepares for a large-scale restore operation
by scanning database tables to retrieve information
on the volumes that contain the client?s data. Every
distinct volume found represents an opportunity for
a separate session to restore the data. The client automatically
starts new sessions, subject to the afore-mentioned
constraints, in an attempt to maximize throughput.

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT ayett DOT net (change aye to a for replies)

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)