ADSM-L

Re: HELP: High CPU and Memory: Post AIXv5.1 Upgrade

2003-05-21 10:45:43
Subject: Re: HELP: High CPU and Memory: Post AIXv5.1 Upgrade
From: "PINNI, BALANAND (SBCSI)" <bp3965 AT SBC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 09:45:19 -0500
Mark,

I had been facing issues like these on AIX 433 and when I applied patch all
these issued disappeared .After  I upgraded all our AIX servers to 5L I had
issues with paging on some servers and AIX5L has a APAR for this.

These are steps I would follow :

1.Check all the file sets on AIX side that belong to network ex: bos.net.*
etc.See that they are at latest patches.

2.Afrer all Patches applied if still your server goes low on memory ,we have
two options :

1.use crush cmd .This is temporary relief.
2.Tune memory

   vmtune -p 5 -P 20 .By default for -P its 80 .This will free up most of
the memory that system has. I had done this to increase SGA for oracle and
tested for performance.

Just check if any other applications are running of the box .If Yes I will
give u how to set -P -p accordingly.Else you can also see man on vmtune.

Hope this helps.

Balanand Pinni