ADSM-L

Re: TSM DB growing @1.5Gb /2 day ??

2003-05-20 00:41:53
Subject: Re: TSM DB growing @1.5Gb /2 day ??
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 23:41:25 -0500
My first reaction when I see a TSM database growing rapidly is to ask
the obvious question:

Is expiration broken somehow?

Expiration and reclamation are the heartbeat of a TSM server. They've
got to work. If expiration had stopped or some reason, such as a broken
administrative schedule, and you can get it to go again, you might be
able to get things under control before completely running out of space.

As far as unload/reload, I'm one of those who say that you should NEVER
do it. Yes, you'll achieve some short-term savings of disk space and CPU
cycles. But over a relatively short amount of time, those savings will
be lost, as normal database activity occurs. And the process is
extremely long (days!) and fraught with peril. Those several days of
downtime and very anxious work and worry are better spent making a case
to your boss for more disk drives and a faster computer.