ADSM-L

Re: Backup thru firewall : server initiated session ?

2003-05-19 09:28:13
Subject: Re: Backup thru firewall : server initiated session ?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:27:42 -0400
>I'm facing a little problem in that I have to backup some nodes wich are
>in a DMZ, and that our security officier that untill now allowed us to
>open a port dedicated to client-to-TSM server communication, now refuses
>what he considers as a "security hole". ...

Evolution forces us to take fresh looks at our overall architecture.
We don't know your overall organizational topology, but you need to take
a fresh look at where backup clients are relative to the server(s), and
methods by which they interact.  You may want to look into SAN and VPN
technologies to help with your situation.

And rather than "hanging you out to dry", your security officer should be
working with you to best facilitate the needs of the organization, as in
arranging a meeting with him, you, and the network people to determine
the best method of achieving the overall goals of storage management.
That's what good corporate security people do.

  Richard Sims, BU