ADSM-L

Re: Mixing disk and tape on same FC aqdapter

2003-05-18 20:53:10
Subject: Re: Mixing disk and tape on same FC aqdapter
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:42:46 +1000
Bill,

I ran for over a year on an SP node (F50 equivalent) single adapter to a shark
and 3590 drives without problem.

I've now moved to a P690 Lpar and because I have two sans, both connected to
the same ESS and the same tape and only two adapters I'm still mixing
 traffic and it seems to work ok.

One issue is that there is folklore around that the max_xfer_size of the FC
adapter should be set to  0x1000000 instead of the default  0x100000 for tape
usage.  However, the only written confirmation that I could find for this was
in a Red Book where tape drives were connected via a San Data Gateway.  Whether
this is useful or relevant in a pure SAN environment is unclear.

I'd be glad if anyone could contribute a definitive opinion on this.

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Quuensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET 19/05/2003 6:44:21 >>>
Is it still the rule-of-thumb to NOT combine disk access and tape access
across the same FC adapter? I have a client that doesn't want to purchase a
separate adapter for the SAN tape backups to keep it off the adapter(s) for
the FasT700 disk data.

I have a couple year old white-paper from IBM saying that data corruption
may occur if you mix the two, but has that changed with the advances in
Fibre?

Bill Boyer
"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield." - ??

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.