ADSM-L

Re: Partitioning 3494

2003-05-08 12:11:04
Subject: Re: Partitioning 3494
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 11:09:47 -0500
No problem Jose...
      that command will only show categories that are assigned to volumes
by hosts...
If you have only defined the library but haven't "checked in" any volumes,
no tapes will have those cat's assigned to them.
I'll bet, as long as you have inserted tapes into the atl and have run an
inventory, (or inserted them via the I/O door) then if you run a
mtlib -l/dev/lmcp0 -qI
you will see a list with a lot of FF00 tapes... that is "Insert" status
meaning they have been inserted into the atl and as far as the library
manager knows, they are free for any attached host to grab

Now this is a NEW library ,correct...  (it hasn't been in use by the AS/400
system for a long time has it? )
I'm not experienced with the AS400 attachment or how its library management
~stuff~ tracks tape use
but knowing how the 3494 operates, I would assume it would have to assign
some category to tapes, as it uses them...

So if from your TSM environment, do a checkin libvol  of a tape you know
should be a scratch/available tape, you should see its category change to
that of a scratch tape as defined within TSM  (that is if you do a mtlib
query of the volume or of the whole inventory...)
then if you use that volume, you should see its category change to that of
private within tsm (if you use it for a db backup or data storage)

Give that a whirl...

Dwight

                      Jose Antonio
                      Atala Olaechea           To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      <jatala74@hotmail        cc:
                      .com>                    Subject:  Re: Partitioning 3494
                      Sent by: "ADSM:
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      05/08/2003 08:51
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi Dwight,

I4ve executed the mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -qR in order to see what are the
defined categories that I have in the 3494 library. In this list didn4t
exist the categories that I defined when I defined library on the TSM
server
( Private category code 300, and 3590 scratch code 302 ). There is
something
that I don4t have clear, how can I create the categories already defined in
the 3494 library? I don4t understand the procedure that I have to do in
order to create these categories for the use of the TSM server.

Best regards,

Josi Antonio Atala Olaechea