ADSM-L

Re: Out of Scratch Tapes.

2003-05-07 09:49:19
Subject: Re: Out of Scratch Tapes.
From: Sung Y Lee <sunglee AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 08:48:58 -0500
I know many of TSM admin would not recommend this, but if you keep several
days of TSM database backups in the library(not offsite)
For an example, if you have an admin schedule del volhist type=dbb
todate=today-6, you can use commands like del volhist type=dbb
today=today-4 and that will free up a tape for you to use.   Only bad thing
about this is that you are losing one day of ability to restore TSM
database if you need.  But rarely do you go back that many days to restore
data.... or do you?

When you are desperate for tapes, you do anything....

Also instead of reclamation, you can use a select statement to display the
list of tapes in smallest date filled and do move data on that volume.
select volume_name,pct_utilized,access,status from volumes where
stgpool_name='TLIB3494' order by pct_utilized.
Either you are doing reclamation or move of data, you might have to play
around with your MAXSCRATCH count to get max # of scratch tapes back.

Sung Y. Lee

                      "Bradberry, Kenneth"
                      <KBradberry@SUPERIORCONS        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      ULTANT.COM>                     cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM: Dist            Subject:  Out of Scratch
Tapes.
                      Stor Manager"
                      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                      05/07/2003 07:57 AM
                      Please respond to "ADSM:
                      Dist Stor Manager"

How can I temporarily produce some scratch tapes from my tape library.  I
would think reducing the retention period of my DRM pool and expiring the
inventory would work, but I need some other ideas.  I have a lot of
privates
in primary tape pools, what if I increased my disk pools, how can I free up
tapes?  Just looking for ideas.  I will have new tapes in a few days.

Ken