ADSM-L

Re: SAS data backup

2003-05-06 16:17:42
Subject: Re: SAS data backup
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 16:17:05 -0400
Since I don't see any other response, I'll pipe up here:

We used to have a little bit of SAS on UNIX, and we now have SAS on Windows.
I don't know of anything special that is required to backup or restore - SAS
data sets are just files.  SAS calls them "data bases", and they are in a
non-text format, but they are just files.

Now there are other issues you MAY have with SAS - there is a SASSHARE
application that will let multiple users access the same SAS data base, and
some people write SAS-driven applications that can keep a process running
with a SAS file open for long periods of time.

So I think the issues are the same as with any other application software -
if nobody has the files allocated/open at the time you run your backup, the
backup is good.  If users are accessing the files at the time - all bets are
off, you need to either find a way to copy/export the data before the backup
is done, or shut the application down before you backup.

If in doubt, call SAS Institute, they are generally very helpful...