ADSM-L

[no subject]

2003-05-05 15:28:26
From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 12:27:41 -0700
You might want to start using a Subject line.  I almost didn't read this
because I typically skip messages without a subject.

If you want to use TSM for document archive, there is one huge drawback.
This is the fact that you can't store searchable metadata about each
document, so you have to know path and filename of the document you want to
retrieve, or build a home grown solution for tracking that.  If you have an
obvious path/naming convention so that it's easy to figure this out, then
great, but for the most part, I recommend researching document management
products.

There are products out there that are specifically designed for this,
keeping a database of documents along with searchable metadata, so you can
put in search phrases and easily find the information you need.  Expiration,
copies, refresh, review, offsite, image, OCR text extraction, they really do
everything you could possibly want.  In fact, if you have real image data,
not just text, there are document archiving products that analyze your
images and pull out key features to store in a text searchable format.  Very
nifty.  Some of them even do certified copies, ie, if you have a legal
requirement to guarantee a document wasn't changed since it was input, they
can watermark.

As far as obsolete file formats, some of these products can track file types
in your database, and as things become incompatible either the product or
you can search and find documents that need to be converted.

Hope this helps.

Alex Paschal
Freightliner, LLC
(503) 745-6850 phone/vmail