ADSM-L

Re: V5 move nodedata command - Any gotchas???

2003-04-30 15:39:39
Subject: Re: V5 move nodedata command - Any gotchas???
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:38:45 -0400
If using move nodedata to move to a colocated pool, do NOT use the maxpr
parm.  If you specify maxpr more than one, it will try to use the same
volume for output for both processes which means one will wait until the
other is finished.

David

>>> r.post AT SARA DOT NL 04/30/03 02:43PM >>>
On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:47:32 +0100
"Wilcox, Andy" <andy.wilcox AT AQUILA-NETWORKS.CO DOT UK> wrote:

> What kind of worries me is that it all seemed a bit on the easy side
> and works... can it really have become this easy or have I missed
> something blatently obvious that could catch me out in the not too
> distant future?

Hi,

We have moved some data around with move nodedata. I noticed a few
things:

1- when moving nodedata to a disk storagepool, it will move the data
(as
expected) directly to the nextstg pool if the file is to big, but it
will not release the tape after that file has been moved. Now that can
be bad if the diskpool fills up and tsm server needs that one tape to
empty out the diskpool eg. to meet colocation requirements. I've
noticed
something that could be called a deadlock because of this 'bug'

2- If you use more than one process, one process might stall if the
other is writing to the tape that the second process has some data to
write to.

3- I have a feeling that for a move nodedata a tape might be mounted
multiple times, at least once for each filesystem.

note, we have only used move nodedata to move data from a
non-colocated
pool to a colocated pool.

--

Remco Post