ADSM-L

GIGE NIC

2003-04-30 11:02:47
Subject: GIGE NIC
From: "Wholey, Joseph (IDS DM&DS)" <JWholey AT EXCHANGE.ML DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:02:36 -0400
Situation:  have a GIGE card in one of my client nodes (SUN 5.8) running TSM
client v 4,2,1.0 backing put to TSM server v 4,2,2.9.  Running across a GIGE
network.  This client has multiple NICs, but
only one GIGE NIC.  In the client dsm.sys file, I've set TCPCLIENTADDRESS to
the IP of the NIC, and TCPCLIENTPORT to 1500.

When TSM server initiates the daily backup, how does it know to connect and
transfer data over the GIGE NIC and not the 10/100 NICS?
How is the path up to the TSM server determined?  Can I be "coming off" the
GIGE network on my way up to the server, hence reducing my thruput?

Regards, Joe