ADSM-L

AW: Can the volume write pass value be used to track media life?

2003-04-29 10:06:08
Subject: AW: Can the volume write pass value be used to track media life?
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:06:50 +0200
Hi Zlatko,

I tried your select statement,
it returns number of times a tape has been defined as NEW,
but not overall write passes.

Seems like one would have to write a script which would maintain two values:
1) summ of write passes for each tape and
2) "write pass" as delivered by Q VOL.
Once a tape becomes either pending  or reused the number from (2) should be
added to (1) and reset to zero.

I guess this only would count write pasess while I believe
the sony´s definition of 30.000 uses
counts read-only passes as well??

Maybe an even simpler solution
would be to store Q ACTL regulary
in external files and sum all "MOUNTED" lines for each tape (grep, awk).
This could count read-only mounts as well,
or even write and readonly mounts separately.

Another point to consider is mount/unmount pass,
I am not sure for how many "uses" it counts.
I guess during both tape mounts and unmounts the label is read thus
counting for 2 read passes?
If yes, this would reduce the real tape uses to 30.000/2=15.000 TSM mounts.

Another point,
re-labeling tapes would cause losing the track for particular tapes.

Questions, questions..

regards
juraj Salak