ADSM-L

Re: Problem with drives after moving tsm-server

2003-04-29 07:58:39
Subject: Re: Problem with drives after moving tsm-server
From: Lisa Cabanas <cabanl AT MODOT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 07:08:17 -0500
I know this sounds weird, but make sure that all of the old tapes were
marked readonly.  Instead of getting an i/o error on the drives that try to
mount the tape readwrite (a trace will show "incompatible format" or
something to that effect).

I had problems reclaiming and migrating (error message was no drives
available) after we upgraded from the E to H drives, and the problem was 4
tapes that were written after I had updated all the tapes to reado, but
these were reclaimed (newly written to) just prior to me bouncing TSM and
updating drives with cfgmgr.

             Schmitz Garnebode
             <Schmitz.Garnebod
             e AT SWEST DOT DE>
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Problem with drives after moving
                                       tsm-server

             04/29/2003 06:09
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Hi,

we have move one tsm-server from sun solaris to another sun solaris server
use
the old library and drives.
We habe installed tsm-server 4.2.4.1 and use 3494 with 3590e drives

Installed devicedrivers are IBMtape.4.0.6.5.bin and lmcpd.5.2.2.0.bin

We reconnect the drives to the new server.
After reboot all four drives are available

root@wlb06310# ls -al /dev/rmt/*st
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          48 Apr 29 10:03 /dev/rmt/3st ->
../../devices/pci@6,4000/scsi@2,1/IBMtape@0,0:st
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          48 Apr 29 10:03 /dev/rmt/4st ->
../../devices/pci@6,4000/scsi@2,1/IBMtape@1,0:st
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          48 Apr 29 10:03 /dev/rmt/7st ->
../../devices/pci@6,4000/scsi@3,1/IBMtape@0,0:st
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          48 Apr 29 10:03 /dev/rmt/8st ->
../../devices/pci@6,4000/scsi@3,1/IBMtape@1,0:st

With the tapeutil tool we can check the drives an anything is ok.
The lmcpd is started and we can connect the library with the mtlib command.

But after redefine the drive (delete/define drive) i can only use the
/dev/rmt/3st and the /dev/rmt/8st devices.
I test it with "move data"

TSM activitylog say  ANR8447E No drives are currently available in library

I have updated the mountlimit of the deviceclass configuration from
"drives" to
"2" .

There are no other processes run , no other mount on the drive.

I don't know what the problem is.

Any idea ??

kind regards

Michael Garnebode
Diplom-Informatiker
Schmitz Rz Consult GmbH
Bachstr.1
50259 Pulheim
Tel.: 02238/922266
Fax: 02238/922267
EMail: michael.garnebode AT schmitz-rz-consult DOT de

im Auftrag der SWEST

Sparkassen-Informatik-Services West GmbH
Abt. : 731-52400 Spacemanagement
Postanschrift :
      Postfach 10 53 10
      D - 40044 Düsseldorf